Keeping pace with technology – it’s the top law firm challenge according to a poll of attendees at ABA TECHSHOW®. Economic pressures, follows a close second amid an industry climate where clients are expecting more for less from legal service providers.
Retaining clients, files sharing security and collections rounded out the results with a handful of respondents citing “other” as the top challenges. Some of those “other” responses reflected sessions presented at the conference and included:
- Finding time to work
- Managing workload balance and hiring help
- Staying organized
- Migrating to the cloud
- Keeping up with the amount of new business
- Implementing new systems for document or practice management
The survey was a chance opportunity – clearly informal – where attendees visiting the LexisNexis booth on the trade show floor were asked to complete a simple ballot. Even so the results are interesting, and in aggregate to other resources might reinforce existing trends.
The chart nearby is a graphical depiction of the poll and it’s this week’s Friday Share.
A Brief Summary if the 2015 ABA TECHSHOW
If you missed the show, or had to choose between two sessions that looked inviting, there was a substantial volume of coverage stemming from the show including some of our own (click here to see images pinned from the show). Here’s a list of posts we think are worthy of perusal.
Key Note Session with Nicholas Carr
- ABA Journal: Automation may dull brain skills, author Nicholas Carr warns Techshow
- Above the Law: The Centralization Of Computers And The Value Of People
- Lawyerist: ABA TECHSHOW Has a Keynote Speaker Problem
Law Firm Management
- Business of Law Blog: Monthly Nut: Law Firms by Numbers [#ABATECHSHOW Recap]
- Business of Law Blog: Tech Consultant Craig Bayer on Client Value Metrics
- ABA Journal: Law firm efficiency starts by carving out time to train, speakers say
- ABA Journal: Attorneys tout the benefits of having a paperless law practice
- Law Sites Blog: Friday Round-Up: Catching Up On A Busy Week of Tech News
- Business of Law Blog: Encryption for Lawyers in Plain English [#ABATECHSHOW…
- Business of Law Blog: 6 Tech Buying Tips for Small Law Firms [#ABATECHSHOW…
- iPhone J.D.: 60 Apps in 60 Minutes 2015
- ABA Journal: Manage your law office technology so it doesn’t manage you
- ABA Journal: Test, teach lawyers tech skills, speakers at Techshow say
- ABA Journal: Smartwatches and other wearables can enhance the practice of law…
- ABA Journal: Infographics make the complex simple for a jury, presenter says
- ABA Journal: Techshow’s ’60 Sites’ highlight: Glitter revenge?
- Lawyerist: 70% of Lawyers Don’t Know What the Internet Is
- Legal Talk Network: Legal Technology Audit with Casey Flaherty
- Legal Talk Network: 2015 TECHSHOW with Chair Brett Burney & Vice-Chair Steve Best
- Law Technology Today (LTRC): Takeaways From My Fifth ABA TECHSHOW
Law Firm Marketing
5 Bonus Posts Law Firm Business Development
Prior to the ABA TECHSHOW, we also attended the 2015 Legal Marketing Association Conference in San Diego. Here’s a roundup of Business of Law Blog posts on stemming from that conference:
- 7 Winning BD Techniques Law Firms can Adopt from other Models
- 4 Takeaways from the #LMA15 Panel of GC [LMA Recap]
- The 6 New Laws of Business Development for Firms [LMA Recap]
- LMA Recap: Changing the Legal Industry Perception of Sales
- Business Development: Transforming Action into Real Results
* * *
Did you see a solid post that we missed? Feel free to drop a link in the comments and we’ll consider adding it to the list.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
Law Day Infographic: Brief History of the Magna Carta