“Attorneys may not want to market, but they certainly want the new business that comes from it,” said Larry Bodine, a lawyer, journalist and legal marketer.
We first spotted his comments in an interview posted to the Legal Broadcast Network, which is produced by the Sequence Media Group. The interview is embedded nearby and runs just eight minutes; it’s this week’s Friday Share.
Mr. Bodine, who previously penned a post for this blog – 6 Predictions for Law Firm Marketing in 2015 – sees three current digital trends affecting law firm marketing:
1. The rise of review sites. Law firm review sites such as Avvo, Google+ and PersonalInjury.com (a site he edits) have empowered clients to leave online reviews about the firm. These sites are having a greater impact on the business of law as more and more consumers are first seeking out reviews about and attorney before hiring one.
2. Law firm blogging. Legal blogging has certainly changed over a decade, but it’s becoming increasingly important according to Mr. Bodine. He says research is demonstrating the more often a law firm blogs, the more clients it will earn. He recommends blogging at least three times per week. While every organization is unique, we believe the spirit of his advice – consistency – goes a long way. Maintaining a blog is a bit like exercise – we get tired and very sore easily at first – but our endurance grows if we stick with it.
3. Mobile marketing. More and more people are searching for information on mobile devices and search engines like Google are placing an increase emphasis on sites that are mobile-friendly. Mr. Bodine says “mobile friendliness” is an important factor for ranking in search.
The complete video is short and worth a listen as Mr. Bodine also provides advice on SEO, or search engine optimization and tips for lawyers to drive engagement in social media:
8 Additional Useful Posts on Law Firm Marketing
Marketing is a function of business and so on this Business of Law Blog there are a range of posts that reader might also find useful. Here is a sample:
- Friday Share: Examining Legal Marketing Email Metrics
- Infographic Friday: Competition for Legal Marketing Online
- Lies and Truths: 8 Tips for Law Firm Marketing Online
- 5 Lessons from an Expert Webinar on Law Firm Marketing
- 7 Winning BD Techniques Law Firms can Adopt from other Models
- LMA Recap: Changing the Legal Industry Perception of Sales
- Business Development: Transforming Action into Real Results
- A Law Firm CMO is the Voice of the Market
* * *
Did you have a reaction to Mr. Bodine’s analysis or on any of the above name posts? Please feel free to let us know in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
Law Day Infographic: Brief History of the Magna Carta