This year, the legal community is headed back. Some 1,500+ attendees will congregated in Caesar’s Palace from August 30th to September 3rd. It promises a heavy dose of legal tech just before the Labor Day weekend.
The event name has evolved – ILTACON and comes with an official blog and Twitter handle: @ILTAConf. So far, it appears two hashtags are catching on pre-conference: #ILTACON and #ILTACON15. It’s worth noting some individual sessions have dedicated hash tags.
We’ve reviewed the agenda and have tallied up a list of events we believe are “can’t miss.” Sure some of these are events we are sponsoring or presenting, but several simply look interesting. As in year’s past, we’ll be blogging (and tweeting) about the show on these pages.
If there’s something we’ve missed, or that you’d like us to consider covering, please send us an email, hit us up on Twitter – @Business_of_Law – or stop by booth #618 to connect.
Quick Tips for Survival
Conferences usually run at a caffeine-fueled pace and ILTA is not different. There are a few mitigating events that can help this year:
- Fitness and exercise. ILTA is hosting a golf tournament – and yoga and Zumba classes early every morning under listed on its recreational events page. A little fitness early in the morning might get us all to bed earlier in the evening and we never know who we might network with in sweat pants.
- Agenda. Catering to a variety of preferences, there are several formats available for viewing the agenda including: a summary, session search, a detailed PDF or grid also in PDF and mobile app for legal professionals on the move.
- Long weekend. For those combining business and leisure, there’s an event at 6:30 p.m. on the final day of the conference: Game On, ILTACON! The site describes the event as crossing “the finish line with delicious food, fun games and competitions, the ever popular karaoke bar and more!”
14 Can’t Miss Events at ILTACON
Buried in this list is a subtle nod to a significant product announcement we’ll be making at ITLA. We’re pretty sure the community will be impressed with the investment we’ve made in this product, but that’s all we can say for the moment…
For those interested, real-time announcements specific to LexisNexis software and technology are available via an RSS subscription.
In chronological order, here are our picks for 14 can’t miss events at ILTACON:
Sunday, August 30th
1. Community of Interest Reception. This reception is being organized along more than a dozen ILTA peer groups such as litigation support, marketing technology and legal operations.
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm | Siena Room | Promenade Level
Monday, August 31st
2. Legal Innovation 2020 Breakfast
The Legal Innovation 2020 (LI2020), managed by The Cowen Group and underwritten by LexisNexis, is an invitation only group with ideas we’ve chronicled on these pages. The group will meet over breakfast to discuss what’s next, what’s new and solving the top challenges.
7:30 am – 9:00 am | Capri – Promenade Level
3. Key Note: The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
ILTA description: “What does it take to achieve personal success and feel like you are in your element? World-renowned innovator Sir Ken Robinson argues that it is not natural talent that drives personal success, but rather a delicate interplay among talent, passion, attitude and opportunity that brings people to achieve their highest levels of success and lead lives of meaning and purpose. Based on his newly released and highly acclaimed book The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything, Robinson takes audiences on a compelling tour of what can happen in all our lives when passion and talent meet.”
9:00 – 10:30 am | Augustus Ballroom | Twitter: @SirKenRobinson
4. Law Department Day
For the third year in a row, ITLA is presenting a day-long series of sessions dedicated to law departments and legal operations. These sessions are scheduled to occur in the Forum Ballroom 21-23 and are as follows:
- 10:45 am – 12:15 pm | Session One: Apocalypso Roundtable will focus “on issues related to increasing efficiency and reducing cost in our law departments.” Speaker: Tom Morrissey, Purdue Pharma L.P.
- 1:30 – 2:45 pm | Session Two: Son of a Son of a Sailor will provide inside counsel with “new tricks to help improve” communications with business units on governance, risk and compliance. Speakers: Ann Gorr, Ann Gorr, LLC; Glenn O’Brien, Liberty Mutual; Brett Tarr, Caesars
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm | Session Three: Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude is a session panel on “how legal departments striving to manage rising workloads while containing costs are addressing the most pressing issues, including moving more high-value legal work in-house plus using legal project management and process improvement to cost-effectively source the necessary components for successful legal outcomes.” Speakers: Eyal Iffergan, Hyperion Partners; Susan Packal, Hilton; Mike Russell, Irco and (our own) Kris Satkunas, LexisNexis CounselLink; Moderator: Eric Lieber
5. Disintermediation: Protecting Your Client Relationships
ILTA Description: “In economics, “disintermediation” is the removal of intermediaries in a supply chain or “cutting out the middlemen.” Notable examples in the technology world include Dell and Apple, which sell many of their systems directly to the consumer. The legal market is not immune to disintermediation, most notably in e-discovery. Instead of feeling doomed, learn how technology and increased automation present unprecedented new opportunities for growth and strengthening of client relationships. Hashtag: #ILTACON #044.”
4:00 – 5:00 pm | Milano Ballroom V & VI | Speakers: Unlisted
Tuesday, September 1st
6. “ILTA Women to Know” Breakfast
There’s a long list of influential women in law and technology circles. Here’s a chance to meet, mingle and learn from some of them!
7:30 am – 9:00 am | Anzio – Promenade Level
7. The Threat Landscape for Legal
ILTA Description: “It is common knowledge that law firms are one of the top 10 targets for cyber security attacks. This session will highlight the latest threats that are targeting our industry. The session will be presented by a FBI Special Agent with the Las Vegas office and with a Principal in Cisco’s Security Services practice, who prior to joining Cisco was the interim Global CISO for a top 10 bank. Given the sensitivity of this session, NO AUDIO OR VIDEO RECORDING OF ANY KIND. Hashtag: #ILTACON #058.”
11:00 am – 12:30 pm | Milano Ballroom I & II | Speaker: Unlisted
8. Shared Practice Metrics for Law Firms and Legal Departments, Now and In 2020
ILTA description: Law departments are starting to run like businesses, and with that comes an increased emphasis on measuring performance against business goals. Collaboration in the development of shared metrics is essential to drive effective relationships and best-in-class legal operations. How can law firms and legal departments work together to promote mutually beneficial technology and metrics? What data points do law departments and firms care about now what will they care about in 2020?? Hashtag: #ILTACON #065.”
1:30 – 2:30 p.m. | Milano Ballroom VII & VIII | Speaker: Unlisted
9. 400 Technologists are transforming Legal Tech in Raleigh
LexisNexis has been investing in a dedicated software and technology division on the NC State campus in Raleigh. With 400 employees, its arguable the largest concentration of legal technologists dedicated to legal software, and more importantly focused on helping lawyers win cases. Mike Lipps, who leads the division, will provide a candid and compelling presentation that does the following:
- Previews – exclusively at ILTA – new research on law firm business development
- Big data trends in corporate legal spending, eDiscovery and more
- Provides a vision for where LexisNexis software products are heading
- Details how we are changing the way we do business for the benefit of customers
- Plus, register at the session for a chance to win one of 15 Apple® Watches
3:30 pm – 4:30 pm | Neapolitan I-II (Promenade Level)
Also see his presentation from last year: SlideShare Friday: 5 Key Trends in Legal Software
Wednesday, September 2nd
10. The Best of Business Intelligence: Stories of Success
ILTA Description: “The increasing availability and power of business intelligence (BI) and data analytics tools have made it easier than ever to simplify complex data sets that provide users with a glance at current performance. Come draw from the success stories and best practices of firms that have demonstrated the application of BI to drive decision-making and positively affect their firms. Hashtag: #ILTACON #100.”
11:00 am – 12:30 | Roman Ballroom I | Speaker: Unlisted
11. LexisNexis InterAction: Build on Relationships to Empower Business Development
ILTA description: “Attracting and retaining the most profitable clients is critical in today’s tough marketplace, and strong relationships are a law firm’s most critical asset. Progressive firms are looking for a more holistic, systematic way to market to and manage their best opportunities on an “account” or client level (vs. individual contacts), but standard technology offerings don’t align with that approach. LexisNexis InterAction, the market’s leading CRM solution, can help you get the most from your relationship information, and the new Business Edge module in InterAction gives you the tools you need to track and manage your business development initiatives. We’re also advancing data quality with passive data management, signature capture and more. Join us to hear how InterAction is evolving to empower you in your business initiatives and ensure your firm’s success. Hashtag: #ILTACON #SS015.”
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm | Octavius II | Speaker: Toni Minick
12. Do Less Law: A Contrarian View of the Future
ILTA description: “How can we perform legal work better, less intensively and preventively? How can we rethink the system and the entire delivery of legal services? Gain insight from a true contrarian! Hashtag: #ILTACON #124.”
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. | Florentine Ballroom III & IV | Speaker: Unlisted
Thursday, September 3rd
13. SuperCharge LAW PreDiscovery with Early Data Analyzer
ILTA description: “LAW PreDiscovery remains the industry-leading tool for powerful, flexible document imaging and production. With growing case sizes and pressure to learn more about collected data earlier in the process, there is a need for new tools in the toolbox. Early Data Analyzer can provide fast, scalable ediscovery processing, fully Web-based early case assessment capabilities and powerful search and filtering without extracting any source documents. And, unlike other processing tools, Early Data Analyzer can extract and send just the data you want directly to a LAW PreDiscovery case. See how you can supercharge LAW PreDiscovery. Hashtag: #ILTACON #SS021.”
11:00 am – 12:00 pm | Octavius II | Speaker: Aaron Pierce
14, 10 Years of Legal Technology Purchasing Metrics, Stats and Lessons Learned
ILTA Description: “What is the average percentage of total firm revenue ILTA members spend on technology? What’s the average tech spend per attorney? How does your firm’s tech budget compare to the firm next door? What are your peers’ key influencers for tech purchases? Get the answers to these questions and more comparative data/metrics as part of the ILTA/InsideLegal Technology Purchasing Survey 10-year anniversary ‘in review’ session. Join survey co-producers InsideLegal and ILTA Member Skip Lohmeyer (CIO, Jackson Kelly) to weigh in on the findings. This panel will take a look at the past 10 years of data, provide the audience with key survey metrics and a real world ‘lessons learned’ discussion when it comes to effectively leveraging this survey data. Hashtag: #ILTACON #160.”
1:30 to 2:15 pm | Roman Ballroom IV | Speakers: Jobst Elster, JoAnna Forshee of InsideLegal
* * *
For those that cannot make the event, please do check in here to see ample coverage. For the rest, we’ll see you Vegas!
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
9 Creative CRM Tips for Getting Lawyers to Share Data